Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Manager In-depth Interview #1: Save_Mr_X

Despite working hard to defend his last season's title and putting in 20 hour days in his plush Sacramento office, Save_Mr_X has been gracious enough to agree to an interview in our inaugural Manager In-depth Interview.


Who was your team MVP last season?

Believe it or not, it would be utility man Harry Decker, which is very strange on a team with former MVP's Otis Pavlov and Albert Piper and Cy Young winner Tony Johnson and perennial candidate Albert Boone. But last year I was struck with horrible injuries. I lost Pavlov for 90 games, Vinny Granger for 85, young phenom pitcher Alex Schmidt for 80, reigning Cy Young winner Tony Johnson for 350 right before the playoffs, Tony Martin for 50, and Decker stepped in to the lead off spot and played CF and 3B for Granger and Pavlov and stole 40+ bases, played great defense, and kept us in a lot of games. I really thought at times the losses would begin to pile up and was counting the days (although there were a lot of them) for my stars to get healthy, but the long losing streak really never came. Albert Boone would have been the other candidate. He more than helped pick up the slack from the pitching injuries by throwing 317 innings and striking out 300, while winning 21 games. He came into the year as the all times NABCL wins leader.



You added 2 LR (Evan Oquist, Ken Small), Lost Tony Johnson, Herman Lewis and others via Free Agency, and Traded away Ismael Franco. Do you think your team is better?

Yes. Although you cant make up for a healthy Tony Johnson, he was beginning to show signs of age. Oquist will be used in the closer role if Zephyr Johnson falters (so far so good) and Ken Small will be the 5th starter when needed (only once so far). The two additions are stop gaps really but are solid. Ismael Franco performed admirably but as good as his bat was, it was nowhere near where the guys he was holding back in the minors will be. It was time. The fact that I received a future MVP candidate in Dario Moran (defensive ss who can hit for average and power) was a coup. We added Dave Glaus and Mitchell Drew from AAA as both are ready and both will be outstanding (I consider both cant miss prospects).



Is there anyone we should keep our eyes out for this season?

The player I will have my eye on as a manager is Randy Delucci. He is a future Ace type of pitcher and was called up to start this year in the #4 spot in the rotation. I wanted to wait until season 9 but the losses in the rotation forced my hand. Ultimately, I think rookies Dave Glaus and Mitchell Drew will make the biggest impact.



Are you concerned about the slow start for your minor league teams?

No. Only because I wasnt expecting much outside of the AAA team. Most of my top prospects are in the bigs now so I am basically using the minors as a development ground for my future stars. Bono Garcia AAA SS (another great defensive SS who can hit for power), Dario Moran Hi A SS, and AA Alan Washington CF (will eventually take over for Vinny Granger--hitting .489 so far this year in AA) on the hitting side. Jake Barkley AAA SP (recovering from a major injury last year and hoping he regains his projected numbers) and Julio Sanchez RP (possible closer of the future) on the pitching side. One of my goals in the future is to restock the minor leagues (which wont be an easy task).


Any thoughts as to why you won the WS last season only winning 97 games in the regular season, while losing in the League Championship Series in season 6 despite winning 114 games (the highest win total in NABCL history)?

I wish I knew. Like I said before, I really thought last year I had the worst chance of all the years, and I was already frustrated. Season 4 we won our first division title with 101 wins, received a bye, and lost in game 5 to Portland in our first playoff series. That was the game that Billy Ray Politte gave up a walk and a hr with 2 outs and a 1-run lead in the 9th that sent us home. He hasnt been the same since. Season 5 we won 105 games and advanced to the NLCS only to get smacked again. Season 6 we cruised through the regular season winning 114 games only to come up short again. So I figured, the next step would be the pennant, only to raise the money I spent on Training and Medical and then to have all the injuries. The only thing that I can think of is that Otis and Vinny and the MASH unit were more rested for the playoffs with less ab's during the season. Albert Boone also helped with his 5-0 mark and era just over 1.00 for the playoffs. Ultimately though, I have no idea why last year was the year. And dont forget, Philly could have easily won that series. Every game was nip and tuck the entire way. I was very lucky to win it.



Do you feel like you can continue your success when Boone, Pavlov, Bennett move on?

I hope so. I dont have many stud prospects in the system but I have tried hard to target specific players and trade for them. The fact that I have the 2 SS's in the minors means they can play any position on the field. So they can help replace (if that is even possible) Pavlov or Granger or Piper. I moved Franco and replaced him with Glaus so it has worked so far. The good thing is that they are still on the good side of 30 so I wont have to think about it right away. On the pitching side is where I worry. Fausto Bennett is just now coming into his own, Alex Schmidt is still a kid, and Delucci is a baby, but Albert Boone (the face of the franchise) is 38. The great thing about him is that his attributes have actually gotten better each of the last 4 years. I keep waiting for them to drop but they havent. After the last update that addressed this I expected it to happen this year but still nothing (and I am forever grateful to the SIM GODs). You just cant replace the innings and dominance he gives you. When he finally retires (which will be in a Terrible Two's uniform) he wont be replaced. I have 3 very good pitchers left over but that wont be enough in the ridiculously tough and competitive NL. What I will probably have to do eventually is trade one of Garcia or Moran for pitching. In fact, I have come very close to doing just that last year and at the beginning of this year.



Do you have any rivalries?

Portland. Dtrain34 and I have made a lot of trades together and watch each others players closely. Portland and Sacramento are relatively close to each other and in the beginning (seasons 1-3) we were chasing the Jacks for the division crown (and they had our number most times). We have had some very memorable games as well.


Teams you hate to play?

Chicago comes to mind first. Their offense is just amazing and my pitchers get beat up regularly by those bats (plus they eliminated us in the playoffs before). Seattle had my number last year as well as I couldnt figure out a way to beat them and watched as they took the season series. I dont know what the head to head record is but I never feel comfortable playing Memphis and I swear they have beaten me more than I have beaten them. And finally, this year it is Salem. They scare the hell out of me. Buffalowade has turned that team around and they could easily win the West this year. Lenny Singleton was only 1 win behind Albert Boone going into the season for most wins all-time and he is 4 or 6-years younger I think. Derrick Stanley could be the next Craig Hooper/Albert Boone type, and they moved into a tie with Sacramento this morning when Singleton beat Boone in game 1 of our first series of the year. I wish I didnt have to play them anymore.


How did you come up with your team name?

I have 3 sons (Holden, Merrick, and Kale) but when I first started playing HBD and signed up for the NABCL (by far the greatest league in HBD...also the best owners) my oldest son Holden was in the middle of his terrible two's. Any parent out there can attest to the craziness associated with this particular stage in a child's life. Anyway, my wife follows my team very closely and at the time we were trying to figure out a team name. I wanted to somehow mix in my son, and I literally tried to finish signing up 4 or 5 times, but my son was having a bad day so I kept stopping to go take care of him. My wife said, "dont worry honey, the terrible two's dont last forever", and it just hit me. The Terrible Two's!!!


Why the move from Tacoma to Sacramento?

Before I answer, it is funny looking back (and I am sure most of the owners will attest to this) and seeing how little I knew about the game then; how far we have come in 8 seasons. As well as the overall improvements that admin has made in the game. I look at some of the players I traded for, or traded away, signed, drafted, thought were good, and shake my head. We have come a long way. Okay, so I figured that pitching would be the way to go since "Pitching wins Championships" so I figured what better place than Tacoma with their -4's across the board. And being a die hard Padre fan I figured, a pitching ball park works well enough for them. As the years went by there was a lot of talk on the message boards about the Tacoma/Coors type parks (the extreme parks) and I wanted to get out and make sure I had a more realistic park. At the time I was getting ready to move my family from Austin, Texas to Sacramento, California. I was in Sacramento on business and as I was driving down the freeway I saw a sign for Raley Field (Home of the Oakland A's AAA affiliate the River Cats) and decided right then, that is the new home of the Terrible Two's. So the second I found a computer I looked it up and emailed Randallball and told him I was moving.

I would like to thank Save_Mr_X for his time and thoughtful answers. Keep your eyes open for our next installment sometime next week!

2 comments:

JC said...

Very nice article, good job cosmicblob and Save_Mr_X! I'm still shaking my head at the fact your wife follows your 'fake' baseball team. I can't imagine mine doing that, in fact the first thing she'd ask is "you spend how much on this?".

Anonymous said...

im truly lucky my friend...in a lot of ways...